Proposals for the 2016 funding cycle for the SEARS Grant Program of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies (SEAFWA) are now being solicited. The total amount of funding available for new projects within the SEARS Grant program is estimated at $276,000. Funding for approved projects will be available no later than May 31, 2016.
Priorities for funding in 2016 are listed below:
A. Priority Species or Guilds
1. Amphibians i. Hellbender – AL, AR, GA, KY, MO, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV ii. Pond-breeding amphibians (e.g., gopher frog)
2. Reptiles i. Alligator Snapping Turtle – AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, KY, MO, MS, OK, TN, TX ii. Spotted Turtle –FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, WV iii. Western Chicken Turtle – AR, MO, MS, LA, TX, OK iv. Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake – AL, FL, GA, LA, MS, SC, NC v. Gopher Tortoise (eastern portion of the range)—AL, FL, GA, SC vi. Southern Hognose Snake – AL, FL, GA, MS, NC, SC vii. Rainbow Snake – AL, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC, VA
3. Fish i. Saltmarsh Topminnow – AL, FL, LA, MS, TX ii. Robust Redhorse Sucker – GA, NC, SC iii. Any Candidate or Petitioned Fish Species Where Two or More Species Occur in the Same Water Body
4. Birds i. Florida Sandhill Crane – FL, GA ii. MacGillivray’s Seaside Sparrow – NC, FL, SC, GA 1. Special interest in work related to genetics, reasons why former habitats are no longer occupied, and response to the threat of sea level rise.
5. Mammals i. Plains Spotted Skunk—AR, MO, OK, TX
6. Invertebrates i. Any Mollusk Species that are Candidates or Petitioned ii. Any Insect or Arthropod Species that are Candidates or Petitioned 1. Special consideration for pollinator species 2. Rattlesnake Master Borer-Moth—AR, MO, OK iii. Any Crayfish Species that are Candidates or Petitioned